The Grenvik Family Award for Ethics is given each year to recognize a Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) member in good standing who has devoted significant efforts toward ethical problems in critical care. The award recognizes a person who promotes humanistic and ethical values in critical care.
The award was initiated by Christer Grenvik’s parents, Dr. Ake and Mrs. Inger Grenvik, and established in 1989 by the Foundation for Critical Care. Christer Grenvik, MD, died at age 30 of a brain tumor while he was an anesthesiology resident.
During his last two years of life, Christer Grenvik became deeply religious and concerned with the critically and terminally ill patient’s autonomy when deciding on choice of treatment. He became particularly interested in the ethical problems of these situations and compassionate care of patients in the terminal stage. Therefore, the goals and objectives of the award are to memorialize Christer Grenvik’s great concern for these problems. Candidates are nominated through the Ethics Committee, which selects the most suitable candidate.
Application/Nomination Deadline: August 1
Notification Deadline: November 1
Amount: $1,000 cash, complimentary Congress registration, and a plaque, as recognition of the award, to be presented during the American College of Critical Care Medicine Convocation/SCCM Awards Presentation. No funding is provided for travel expenses.
- Significant contributions made toward addressing ethical problems in critical care
- Member in good standing of SCCM
- Demonstrated commitment to SCCM through involvement in SCCM committees or other SCCM activities at the local, regional, national or international level.
Members of the Ethics Committee and SCCM Council are not eligible for the award during their tenure.
- Nominations must be made by an active SCCM member.
- Nominator must provide a curriculum vitae, a detailed description of the nominee’s contributions toward ethical problems in critical care and letters of support from two additional SCCM members in good standing.
- Letters of support should emphasize the ways the nominee’s life and career meet the award criteria.
Send nominations electronically to Kathy Vermoch, MT(ASCP)SM, MPH, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Christer Grenvik Memorial Fund is funded by Dr. Ake and Mrs. Inger Grenvik.